- Discuss health risks with your doctor first before starting your exercise plan step by step.
- Measure your blood glucose before exercising. If your blood glucose level is lower than 100 mg/dL(5.6 mmol/L), you should take some snacks before starting.
- Bring something sugary to eat some in case your blood sugar level drops too low.
- Wear proper shoes and avoid exercising with bare feet to prevent yourself from injury.
- Do some gentle aerobic exercise for 5 to 10 minute as a warm-up before your workout. Warming up helps to improve and sustain the intensity of the exercise for longer.
- Include a cool-down after exercising to relax your body.
- If you exercise for longer than 1 hour, you should test your blood glucose level again.
- Monitor your blood glucose level after exercise to make sure you avoid hypoglycemia.
Source | American Diabetes Association
Was this article useful?